nuffnang

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Honesty does not pay, Chua Quits All Posts

Embattled MCA vice-president and Health Minister Dr Chua Soi Lek has quit politics altogether by relinquishing all his party and government posts with immediate effect.


He has also stepped down as the member of
parliament for Labis. Up until his resignation today, he was also the party’s Johor state chief as well as the Batu Pahat division head.

He expressed disappointment that the public has adopted a holier-than-thou attitude on the issue and noted sarcastically that "maknanya semuanya golongan ulamak" (it must mean they are all very pious).


“I thought that by my admission, the people would forgive my weaknesses,
but I thought wrong. This shows that honesty does not always pay, (but) it is up to the public to judge me,” he said.


“My mistake was to go to the same hotel and the same room all the time. I thought it was convenient,” he lamented.


Saying that his resignation
would stop people from “following me everywhere (and) placing hidden cameras to capture my every movement”, he described this as a “very sick and unhealthy political culture”.


“The prime minister has personally told me that he would investigate who is behind the video, so let’s leave the matter at that.”


Chua had previously hinted at the possibility of a political motive on the part of the person who recorded the footage, said to have been recorded with cameras placed at four spots in a hotel room. Two videos were produced from the footage.

No comments:

Nuffnang