Forestry Department Peninsular Malaysia is under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE), Malaysia. Its headquarters is in Kuala Lumpur and it has 10 State Forestry Departments and 33 District Forest Offices located throughout Peninsular Malaysia.
The department is headed by the Director-General of Forestry who is assisted by two Deputy Director-Generals of Forestry.
Dato' Prof. Dr. Hj. Abd Rahman bin Hj. Abd Rahim, Director General of Forestry Department Peninsular Malaysia
FORESTRY DEPARTMENT HEADQUARTERS
Formulation of forestry policies, provision of advice and technical assistance to the State Forestry Departments in forestry planning, forest management and development, forest and wood-based industries, forest operational studies, training and human resource development.
POLICY AND PLANNING DIVISION
Dato' Masran B. Md. Salleh, Deputy Director-General of Forestry Department Peninsular Malaysia (Policy & Planning)
• Monitoring of assessment of forest resources to generate new wealth for the nation and of affairs of the National Forestry Council.
• Monitoring of the implementation of the National Biodiversity Policy and development of biotechnology.
• Monitoring of development affairs of forest plantation and conservation programmes as well as forest ecosystem of the country’s coastal areas.
• Monitoring of the establishment and development of ecopark forests and state forest parks.
• Monitoring of international affairs relating to the forestry sector.
• Monitoring of the development of wood-based industries in line with the master plan.
• Monitoring of the planning and implementation of physical development and infrastructure of forest harvesting and technical projects.
• Monitoring of the affairs of MAJURUS and implementation of MC&I, MS certification.
• Monitoring of the implementation of and amendments to the National Forestry Policy.
OPERATIONS AND TECHNICAL DIVISION
Dato' Hj. Nik Mohd Shah bin Nik Mustafa, Deputy Director-General Of Forestry Department Peninsular Malaysia (operation & Technical)
• Monitoring of the affairs of human resource, human capital and career development of department personnel.
• Monitoring of the progress of job creation and placements for semi-professionals in the department.
• Ensuring of development progress of wood-based industries to enhance skills and to reduce bureaucracy.
• Monitoring and coordination of the department’s Key Performance Indicator (KPI).
• Coordination of the department’s parliamentary affairs such as identifying duty officers and preparation of answers to questions in the House of Representatives and the Senate.
• Coordination of operational studies and implementation of Reduced Impact Logging (RIL).
• Monitoring and coordination of enforcement activities of the National Forestry Act 1984 and Wood-Based Industries Act 1986.
• Monitoring of the implementation of physical, mechanical and forest harvesting infrastructure activities of civil engineering projects.
• Monitoring and coordination of the implementation and development of the IT and geoinformatics adoption programme.
STATE FORESTRY DEPARTMENT
• Monitoring of the administration and control of forest harvesting, forest revenue collected and state forest resource development.
• Planning and coordination of the development of wood-based industries.
• Divided into Forest Operations and Forest Development Divisions, and supported by the District Forest Offices.
FOREST OPERATIONS DIVISION
• Monitoring of the administration, enforcement of forest laws and forest revenue collected.
• Coordination and liaison with the Forestry Department Headquarters, other state departments, statutory bodies and agencies.
FOREST DEVELOPMENT DIVISION
• Planning, implementation and monitoring of silvicultural and forest management activities, preparation and implementation of forest management planning and forestry development projects at state level.
DISTRICT FOREST OFFICE
• Monitoring of administration, control of forest harvesting, forest revenue collected and enforcement of forest laws at district level as well as execution of forest management activities and forest silviculture.