Kuching Tua Pek Kong Temple, or temple of the god of prosperity, officially known as Siew San Teng, is the oldest Chinese Temple in Sarawak.
Claimed to be the oldest building in Kuching, the temple is located at the busy junction of Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman and Jalan Padungan, it’s also one of the most famous mentioned tourist destination in Sarawak.
The temple has been in existence at the site since 1770. However, it was built around 1800 but the official temple land title was issued later in 29 August 1871 by Charles Brooke, the white Raja.
In the beginning, it was a small and simple hut temple. However, the first renovation occurred in 1856, subsequently it was upgraded to ceramic tiles roofing and partial cement sand brick wall in 1863. Another major repair was carried out in 1965.
The management of the temple before the Japanese occupation was revolved between Chinese community leaders through casting of lots to assist the required periodic ceremonial and religious occasions. However, after the Second World War, the temple was managed by five Chinese Associations from respective major dialects in Kuching.
Officially, the temple was transferred to Kuching Chinese Community Charitable Board in 1951 and not until 1st October 2003 the Board formally took over the full management. The major operating surplus is henceforth donated to finance various social projects and Chinese School.
Situated prominently near the Waterfront, the Tua Pek Kong Temple in Kuching plays an important role in the lives of the local Chinese community.
The most notable festivals held annually are: the birthday of Tua Pek Kong, the birthday of Tua Pek Kong’s tiger which he rides on, the Hungry Ghost Festival and the Ascension Day of Tua Pek Kong.